Changes to Points Test will apply to both new applicants who apply for the Subclass 491 (489 to be replaced with) visa a well as applicants for a Subclass 189, 190 and 489 who are yet to be assessed under the Points Test. The changes to the points test however are beneficial – no applicant with a pending application will be adversely affected because the changes provide for the award of additional points.
Amend the points test in Schedule 6D to the Migration Regulations to award:
– 15 points for nomination by a State or Territory government agency or sponsorship by a family member residing in regional Australia, to live and work in regional Australia;
– 10 points for a skilled spouse or de facto partner;
– 10 points for certain Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) qualifications;
– 5 points for a spouse or de facto partner with ‘competent English’;
– 10 points for applicants without a spouse or de facto partner; and
– other minor amendments.
New Permanent Visa to be introduced:
Introduce a New Permanent Visa, the Subclass 191 (Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional)) visa (Subclass 191) from 16 November 2022. New Subclass 191 may only be applied for by holders of the new Subclass 491 and Subclass 494 visa. Applicant must have held regional provisional visa for 3 years before applying 191.
If you are granted this New Regional visa you cannot be granted any other permanent visa of any category for 3 years. However, you can move to any other regional areas.